Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Memorial Day Weekend to forget

Okay, I'm back. The weather has been nice, and there have been way too many projects to do around the house to even consider sitting down in front of the computer for any length of time and ramble on about the wonders of my life. But today I've got time, as I'm in the midst of recuperation.

Today is the first day back after the 4-day Memorial Day weekend. And this one's going to be quite a memory.

It started Thursday night, at Thing#2's preschool picnic. Thing#1 wasn't feeling too well, so we left early and later discovered she had a fever of around 101. She was pretty miserable that night. But that was nothing compared to Friday night, when she managed to almost break her nose watching TV. I'm still not quite sure what happened, but somehow the coffee table encountered her face, causing her to spurt blood out of her nostrils and her parents to rush her to the hospital and explain to the authorities that we weren't child beaters. In the end the x-ray was negative for a break, but she spent the weekend looking like a raccoon.

Saturday was spent preparing to host some neighbors in a "break in the new deck" party. The instant the first guest rang the doorbell, the skies opened up and it rained for the rest of the night. During the (now indoor) party, I started to notice that I wasn't feeling too great. Plus, I realized I'd been totally bitten up by something outside.

Sunday, whatever hit me came out full force. I had a full fledged cold virus with all the trimmings, AND what I thought were insect bites turned out to be some sort of rash. I thought perhaps it was a reaction to cold medication, but later I'd be proven wrong....

On Monday, the illness and itching continued, and I spent most of the day sitting around in misery. My loving wife planned ahead for a night of being kept awake by my coughing and decided to set up camp in the guest room, but that didn't help any. Because late Monday night Thing#2 decided to wake up screaming every half hour from 11pm to 4am. Either she wanted a drink, or she was missing her stuffed bunny, or her leg was uncovered, or the night light was too bright. By 4am we were just about ready to have to explain ourselves to the authorities once more.

Today, I went to the doctor to see about this rash. It turns out it isn't a drug reaction after all, but poison ivy. I'm not quite sure how I managed to contract poison ivy, but my theory is this. Our township collects leaves each fall, mulches them and leaves the mulch pile in a public for any resident to take for gardening. I decided to take advantage of it this year and grabbed a few buckets of it. My guess is that’s where it came from. This is what’s known as “no free lunch”.

So as I sit here, squinting through my swollen eyelids, I think it's high time to get back to blogging. So there ya go.

1 comment:

Howard said...

I don't know, it does seem fitting that you could contract poison ivy at and indoor break-in-the-deck party.