Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Best Movie In The World

My daughters have recently discovered the best movie in the world. At least, that is what they tell me. I believe it has something to do with Barbie, and the title of this movie escapes me. I just know the DVD is always in the player and the box is always lying open on the coffee table or wedged between couch cushions.
The movie is on constantly, whether I'm home or at work. Yet I have no idea what it's about. I've never looked up the screen or acknowledged it's script. I do know that Steven Right does the voice of one character. It's hard to miss him even in the background, and at any moment I expect him to ask why we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway.

Recently I learned a bit more about the plot of this cinematographic wonder, as the girls have taken to acting out key scenes from it in the back yard. Best I can tell, here's how it goes:

Natalie plays Odette, the female (Barbie)character. Jessica plays Derek, the handsome prince. Odette lies on top of a faraway mountain, dramatically performed by the tarp-covered pile of gravel destined for the underside of the new deck. Derek lies upon the top of another distant mountain, skillfully acted out by the pile of sand for the walkway. The script is as follows:

Odette: "Derek!!"
Derek: "Odette!"
Odette: "Derek!!"
Derek: "Odette!"
Odette: "Derek!!"
Derek: "Odette!"
Odette: "Derek!!"
Derek: "Odette!"

This goes on for a half hour or until one of the actresses decides she needs a snack and retires to her trailer.

I really need to get that walkway done.

1 comment:

Ken said...

Barbie Swan Lake?